Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Not All Cornmeal the Same

Today's scones were the second batch of scones I made with the last bag of cornmeal that I bought. The last batch was awful. I forgot the cornmeal altogether and added it after everything else. The scones burned quickly and tasted like cornbread.

Finally, I dumped the batch and made another today. As I pulled the tray out of the oven, disappointment welled up in me. The scones had the dark brown burnt coloring. I tried less time and then a lower temperature. Finally, it dawned on me. The only difference from the first scones I made was the corn meal. The last bag bought was "Yellow Cornmeal" and it did look different that the previous one that I had gotten in a smaller cardboard container. Now, I realize that it was not "yellow", but must have been white that I needed. At the store I had noticed there was cornmeal and cornbread, but it did not dawn on me to check the color of the corn meal. :(

The next batch will have to be far less cornmeal and a little more flour!!! Or, maybe I can dump the bag and get the cornmeal I had before. I did a search and found out that Texas A & M did a study and found that cornmeal is a powerful fungicide!--- I could spread it on the garden soil. There really hasn't been any fungus around that I know of.... so, I suppose I ought to just use the cornmeal sparingly and not waste it!

And, if I am not glum enough about that. While getting the cranberries at 2-J's, I just happened to notice the label. It read SWEETENED dried cranberries. This probably offsets the cutting back on sugar!!

On the bright side, Christopher's butterscotch-chocolate chip cookies turned out excellent.

No comments: