Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Seemlingly Endless Craving

Have you ever tried to kick an addiction? Its tough. I have been addicted to Diet Pepsi most of my life. The first time I got pregnant I immediately quit drinking pop and smoking cigarettes. I wasn't going to hurt my baby. I did restart both at a later date. I quit cigarettes completely the next time I stopped (although I did puff from my husband's cigarettes a couple of times when we were under great duress.) Pepsi was a problem, though. Its a magnet for me. I'll spend $8 on gas just to go get a drink. Then I will be so mad at myself for doing that.

Not that long ago, I was completely off Diet Pepsi and then one day I was somewhere and all that was available was Pepsi to drink. I thought, just this one time. Unfortunately, there is no "only one time" drink for me!!!!! Now, here I am going through the withdrawal of it again. It is a lot like quitting smoking, if you can get through the first 10 days, you got it made. The first couple days I am like in a stupor, it is so hard to even stay awake or alert. My body is screaming for another drink.

Pepsi and Coke affect my thinking, my emotions and what I do with my life. I will procrastinate on doing things forever, if I have a drink. The little euphoria it brings makes me content and gives a false feeling that all is good. Then when it is over, before long my body is craving another drink.

So, now, Day Three without a Pepsi drink. The groggyness is lifting and I am somewhat normal again. I know that in time, I will reach the point where I will be able to taste a pepsi and not even like its taste.

In the meantime...orange juice, soup and toast, along with good healthy meals for supper. Its time to get healthy, there is a lot of work to do.

No comments: