Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Wind--Endless Wind

What a day!  I started up to Pete's with parts for my car, as the delivery people didn't pick them up.  The wind was terrible! 

The parts helper only put one strap on, which concerned me, as the wind was so high.  It seemed firm, so I headed out nonetheless, and considered stopping to pick up another tie-down as I crossed town.   Thought the better of it, but as I headed down the interstate the big box raised about ten inches at the front.  I stopped and tightened the tie-down a little more.

Keeping a watch on the back, as I continue down the road,  I saw it go up again, so went into Vaughn.  Neither store had tie-downs.  Now, back to town to Poulsens.  I couldn't get the newly purchased tie-downs to tighten, as the reel that you tighten them on filled up and would stop before I got the strap tightened.  Then Pete called and told me to get the tie-down as tight as I wanted it BEFORE I ratcheted the strap.  I tried that and what do you know??  It worked!!!  

Continuing once more down the interstate, I now considered how fast I should drive.  That wind was terrible and the box looked like it was going to go to pieces.  I was just past Manchester and suddenly in my mirror I saw the top of the box fly up and as I slowed down and pulled into a turn off a piece of the cardboard blew away.  Looking through the hand-holds I can see blue sky.   I go out and inspect the box.  Looked inside and there was a 8x12 envelope marked "small parts."  I pick it up and small packages fell to the ground--the envelope wasn't sealed!  There were only two parts on the ground, hopefully nothing blew away.   Took out the rest of the loose stuff and found the packing list.   Sitting now inside the pickup I checked over everything and found out it was all accounted for.  Called Pete and he sent Ginger down to pick up the parts from me.

Drove up to the Vaughn exit and parked in the driveway at the missile silo and fell asleep waiting for Ginger.  Woke up as she got there.  The wind was blowing hard.  We tried to shelter the boxes, but was only partially successful.  As we untied the boxes and tried to get them unloaded, the wind took them.   One box took off in the wind and Ginger grabbed the other end of the box I was holding to secure it and the next thing I know the wind took the box to the ground.  Ginger was going backwards and tripped over the tire and down she went with the box on top of her. I lifted the box off her and, in spite of  a twisted ankle that was hurting, she quickly grabbed the other box before the wind took off with it again.   With the tire securing the tall box, we unloaded and broke down the broken box, battling the wind the whole time.  Finally, we successfully loaded everything and Ginger was on her way with the parts.   I am sure she is going to sleep hard tonight....I sure am going to!  I'm now exhausted.  That wind really takes the energy out of a person!

God be with us all.

2 comments:

AnitaGay said...

Duck Tape!!!!!
Wind high here too, we carry straps, rope and always a roll of duck tape!!
Good fix for most things that tend to fly apart!!

RandiGrace said...

Tape probably would have been a good thing. The wind took the flaps right off the top of the box!