Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Almost Perfect Scone

What a day! It was an enjoyable day. Visited a friend this morning. Then, as I started to head to my neice's graduation, I noticed the pickup was totally muddy. Spent $1.25 at the car wash and soon the outside was gleaming! As long as you didn't look under the tarp in the back, which was all filled with chips, or in the cab, where I had all the gardening stuff, it looked clean!!

The graduation was beautiful--my niece is now a college graduate. Its hard to believe that course after course, and quarter after quarter, that the end came! But, she excelled and is a good role model for those around her.

By late afternoon, the rains came in, as I headed home. The mud flew as I traveled down our gravel/dirt road. I could hear it splashing up the sides of the pickup, caking the beautiful shiny, clean panels that were just washed.

Most of the pictures taken at the graduation didn't turn out very well. Having such difficulty walking, I could not get up front to get any good shots of the graduation! Mary said she would get me some of her's to replace some of the pictures I sent out in a "picture album" page e-mailed to the family.

Anita e-mailed me a recipe for scones...which I have never made before. So, with the rain alternating between drizzle and pouring, it seemed a really good time to bake. The recipe seemed a little "too much" on some of the ingredients, so I altered it a little, and then added some blueberries that Nancy had brought over yesterday. It rolled out nice, so I cut it up and put on a baking sheet. Waited the 15 minutes and pulled it from the oven. The scones kind of splated when I put them on the board set out for them. Hopefully that was not a sign they were too heavy. I tasted one of the hot ones...it was good, didn't taste heavy, but you can't judge the hot one. Waited about ten minutes and then tried one of the cold ones. It was so light, I couldn't believe it! It almost floated! There is one more little ingredient that I am going to add to see if I can find the perfect flavor. Then I will have to try the original recipe to see if there really is much difference. When I have my perfect scone, and the secret ingredients, and the special way of making it fine-tuned, I will put it on the blog. Then any little happy bakers out there can enjoy a fine scone for their breakfast!!

The day is good. The Lord has sent beautiful rain and our trees, grass, flowers and hopefully the garden too, are all looking green and healthy. God is good!

No comments: