Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A good job to have!

The water line has frozen the last two nights on the kitchen and laundry room side of the house. I called a plumber YESTERDAY morning and they were totally booked up for the day, but gave me a reference to another. I called and they said $85 an hour from the time they leave the shop, minimum one hour. Well, it is one hour just to travel back and forth so we know there is two hours at least for a visit. Not wanting burst lines, I said ok, and they said it would be in about 3 hours. Now anyone looking to go into a high paying line of business might go to school for plumbing....it pays well!!!

Having seen Dad thaw pipes a number of times, I thought I would try it. I found the hand-held hair dryer and went downstairs. Checked the line to see where the feeze spot could be. So I started blow drying the line. It wasn't too long and we had cold water. The plumber now called about coming out, so I canceled the appointment. However, it took all day to get the hot water line unthawed.

Last night the temperatures were not nearly as cold as the night before, but still TODAY there was no hot water in the kitchen or laundry room. I used a heater downstairs and the blow dryer and no results. Now I am going to try blocking some of that wind coming in under the deck by putting a tarp along the front of it to stop that bitterly cold wind. The frozen spot apparently is right below the deck, which means Andy is going to have to tear out part of the ceiling in the family room to get to it. That will be for tomorrow...I hope the pipes are good through the night. (About an hour later, after putting up the tarp...the line thawed!!)

Will be glad when it is all done! Or, this could be a long winter. Tomorrow is 17 above! The dogs can be outside all day!!!

1 comment:

AnitaGay said...

Well at least you had heat in the house....our heater decided to take a vacation on Friday night and since we didn't want to pay weekend rates decided to wait until Monday (which was only $75.00 an hour)Woo!! He found the short in the wiring and taped it off, so we are warm again....Tom will try to trace down where the problem is when it warms up above 50 or the sun comes out!!